Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday 26 May 2013

My birth story

18 May 2013, Saturday

  1. 2:00 pm+: did exercises to try turn the baby naturally and speak to baby
  2. 4:00 pm+: went to playground with hub and yx, having erratic contractions, sat on the bench while hub played with yx
  3. 11:00 pm+: hungry, ate some porridge and on the way back to kitchen, I felt something watery down under and I realised I was bleeding. Mucous plug suspected to be out. 
  4. 11:30 pm: went to sleep, whole night feeling slight cramps; did breathing exercises throughout the night


19 May 2013, Sunday

  1. 2:00 pm: slight cramps, felt like pooing
  2. 3:00 pm: hub went to playgroup with yx without me. 
  3. 4:00 pm+ - 6:00 pm: felt like pooing again; pooed about 4-5 times in a day
  4. 7:30 pm: Dinner - chicken rice
  5. 8:20 pm: head to the hospital; mild contractions coming 8 mins apart
  6. 9:00 pm: discussing with Dr Benjamin Tham, he was not too happy that I came in 1 day later after I had some bleeding but I told him that my contractions was not regular. Dr did a vaginal examination, I was told that:
    • I had dilated 2.5 cm; could feel baby's toes near my cervix
    • dangerous to try VBAC due to the transverse lie (see images below)
    • Likelihood umbilical cord might be coming out first which is dangerous
    • I shouldn't be too "foolhardy" (yes that's the word he used, but it's ok, I don't mind him being forthright) "to pursue a dream" that is beyond the circumstances. 
  7. 9:30 pm:  decided to go for csect; Dr Lo Wai Kit, the anaesthetist suggested spinal block which is more straight forward than epidural
  8. 9:45 pm: push to operating theatre
  9. 10:05 pm: Spinal block given; shivering all over (side effects); could feel numbness slowly set in, surgery starts after confirmation from me that I couldn't feel any pain; used visualisation techniques to relax myself
  10. 10:30 pm+: baby out; hub took pictures of me and baby 
  11. 11:00 pm+: Surgery completed; wheeled to ward 
My baby was lying in this position (head on my left):
Taken from Google images search
but this would be a "better" transverse lie - less dangerous as the umbilical cord is not facing outwards but inwards:
Taken from Google images search
After surgery, Dr said that he had a hard time trying to get baby's head out first, thus I felt lots of tugging and pulling around my tummy. As expected, the umbilical cord was out and he has to shoved it in immediately. In the end, he tried getting baby's legs out and then quickly the head which explains baby was a little blue when he came out but regain colour gradually.

The next day, I asked Dr if ECV could have helped turned the transverse baby, and he replied "in retrospect, you have made a timely decision to go for csection. I wouldn't advise you otherwise given the circumstances. I can't forecast accurately but given the position and your dilation, it is fortunate that your waterbag did not break, else it could really have been a mad rush." 


After thoughts
I am really glad that both baby and myself are safe and healthy.

If only:
  • I have done more exercises to try turn the baby naturally (but then again, I knew on Friday after seeing Dr Paul Tseng that the baby turn again from head down to transverse; and even if I have known earlier, it is also unknown that if the exercises would successfully turn the baby - but the thought of - at least "I did ALL I can" would reduce my guilt.)
  • I see Dr Paul maybe 2 days earlier, actions would have been taken earlier - more exercises and make appointment with Dr FM Lai for 2nd opinion. (I am supposed to go see Dr Lai on Monday but just too bad....)
  • I go for chiropractic therapy as advised by Eunice - another vbac mummy few months ago. (not 100% guaranteed but at least just try.)
Fortunately, I was mentally prepared for csect and also given the types of anaesthetic a thought so the experience was not as bad as before. Am I going for number 3? haha, it's almost definite that the answer is negative. I can't imagine having an unsuccessful vbac2. It's gonna be quite a toll on me I guess.

Well, if only, if only. Life's like that. There is nothing I can do now but just give my best to baby and my family. We love you yr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment