Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Medela Freestyle Breast Pump vs Avent Single Electrical Breast Pump

Thanks to Stella who lend me her Medela Freestyle Pump, I managed to pump out milk within 15 mins from both of my breasts.

The accessories looked kindda intimidating at first:


Fortunately, the confinement lady is experienced enough (she said she has come across so many pumps that she is now quite used to handling them) to know how to assemble and then taught me how to use it, else I have to go through the instructions manual which is quite tiring for me at this stage.

My verdict for now:

Criteria
Medela Freestyle
Avent
Single Pump
1. PressurePressure (Vacuum increase) = L5
Breast Shield: medium - 24 mm*

Feels not as strong but after 15 mins, my breasts (even my left side which always feels more engorged than the right as baby prefer the right) feels more soft and supple.

Can't feel any block ducts around the breasts.
Pressure: Can't control - as per default

stronger than Medela but still feel some block ducts around the breasts.


2. Motor Sound soft drumming loud rumbling 
3. Features*
  • On/off (std by mode) button
  • Vacuum increase
  • Vacuum decrease
  • Let-down button/timer reset button
  • Memory button
  • Timer display
  • Stimulation phase indicator
  • Expression phase indicator
  • Memory "on" indicator 
  • Battery status indicator
  • AC power indicator 

  • On/off button 
  • handle for electronic memory on your pumping rhythm
4. Milk Yield 110 ml in 15 mins 120 ml in 15 mins (1 pump = approx 60 ml, assuming 2 pumps x2) 
5. Ease of mobility*didn't used straps - holding the bottles so doesn't really feel much mobility. just single pump, the other hand is free. 
6. Assemble
Time
Slightly longer than Avent (but if used to it, should be quite fast) more straightforward
7. Costs More expensive
SGD 530 (base on online purchase price)
SGD 179 - bought in Dec 2011
(after promotion, initially SGD 199 )


*Notes:
1. Pressure - breast shield - I would try large - 27 mm and see how's the result later.
3. Features - I prefer Avent's soft cushion funnel on the breasts but Medela funnel without the cushion is still acceptable. 
4. Milk Yield - for more accurate results, I would probably need to test on:
  • on the same breast (at the moment I feel engorged), ie. Left breast using Medela and then the next pump period: Left breast using Avent and the same steps for Right breasts later. 
It seems that my areola still has some milk (after I "squeeze" gently) after 15 mins for Medela but for Avent my areola is slightly drier.

5. Ease of mobility - for both pumps I used the other hand to massage the sides while pumping; have to try with straps later to see how's the results. 

1 comment:

  1. “Breastfeeding is best for babies”- it seems this quote is overrated. Nevertheless, it’s good to know that there are still mothers who value the essence of this statement. However, since several women prefer to have careers of their own, many mothers are having difficulty finding time to breastfeed their little ones. Others don’t have a choice but to stop nursing their child and just rely to milk formulas.

    ReplyDelete