Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday 19 April 2013

Singapore Cord Blood Bank vs Cordlife or Stemcord

Refering to my following posts on cord blood banking,
  1. http://ourdearie.blogspot.sg/2011/09/cordlife-vs-stemcord.html
  2. http://ourdearie.blogspot.sg/2011/11/cordlife-vs-stemcord-cord-blood-banking.html
I have decided to donate my child's cord blood to Singapore Cord Blood Bank and contacted them recently ("The expectant parent's decision to donate their baby's umbilical cord blood should be done between 32 weeks of gestation and before going into labour.").

Details on how to donate can be found here and the donation process here.

I wanted to bank yx's cord blood with one of the private cord blood institution in Singapore initially but hub and I thought otherwise as we wanted to have a second child so we thought we will do it when we have our second baby since the stem cells are highly compatible for siblings, no guarantee though.

I have also seek advice from Dr Paul Tseng regarding my intention and he is supportive.

So why the change of mind now?
  • It is not proven scientifically that the child's own cord blood is "fool-proof".
  • Doing a good deed on behalf of our child since we don't keep the blood anyway
  • It doesn't cost you anything (ok, my blood - all donors are subject to do a blood test) !
I have done the pre-screening over the phone and I will be meeting up with the nurse co-ordinator next week to complete a consent form and Maternal Risk Questionnaire before proceeding further.

Then just gotta await for delivery... ...

No comments:

Post a Comment