Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday 4 December 2011

Eliminate Fear (of child birth)

I refuse to believe that I can't go through natural delivery without epidural (although there is nothing wrong with medical interventions but it's just me. I do not want any) given that my mum can do it (cos at that time, everything was simple- and that's the key - Simple - know nothing, bring in No fear. and just do it!), so can everyone else. I mean, ok, I am stubborn but I just know I gotta do it, else I would regret. Reading hannabi's and verieying's comments are comforting and inspirational to me. 

I have been reading the following books and I highly recommend HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method - if one doesn't have time or doesn't want to read too much, this one book is something you could count on. (Yes, it 's kindda "intensive" reading for me but I know I need to do it. I wish I could discover much earlier then again, but NOW than never.)

KEY POINTS:

Eliminate fear cos Fear > Tension > Pain (theory pioneered by Dr Grantly Dick-Read)- and the cycle goes on.

We have natural endorphins and they are 200 times (!) better than morphins as painkillers. 

"To those who say it is just not possible to birth naturally and without pain, I say, "But what if we're right? Wouldn't it be wonderful?" Lorne R.Campbell, M.D.

The power of mind: "The mind is capable of anything - because everything is in it. All the past, as well as all the future." - Joseph Conrad.

Conditioning of your body and mind = stress-free



Powerful Laws of the mind- The Laws of: --
1. Pyscho-physical : Mind > Body >Action (think:Pavolv's experiment with dogs)
2. Harmonious Attraction: Words > Feelings > Beliefs > Behaviour > Success/Failure
3. Repetition: Repeat positive thinking (see2)
4. Motivation: Focus ! (think: sportsmanship) Mind Focus on winning> No pain stimuli > No pain !

4 Techniques:
  1. Breathing - 1. Sleep Breathing, 2. Slow Breathing 3. Birth Breathing
  2. Relaxation - facial, body, "limp", Light Touch Massage
  3. Visualisation - floating in the mist on the 7 colours of rainbow, visualise the lower circular muscles as soft, satin ribbons, flexible and totally non resistant to the draw of the upper muscles.
  4. Deepening - Glove techniques, Depthometer, Time Distortion



Meditation:
1. Practice of Opening: to relax and open your body
2. Womb Breathing: energy breathing for childbirth
3. Giving and Receiving: brings healing to childbirth

......."Feel your womb and cervix holding your child. At the right time , your womb will start to felx and your cervix will begin to respond, slowly opening, progressively releasing new life. 
The baby's head will then move down through the birth canal. The pelvis will work with the womb, yielding to growth and change. 
These are the strongest muscles in your body, fully capable of birthing your baby. Relax any abdominal tension caused by anxiety. Practice relaxing the outer and inner muscles that cradle your child. Surrender into the full support of life. Trust your ability to change. Prepare to give birth to your child............"




True Stories:
1. Birthing naturally with a midwife
2. Birthing naturally with a physician
3. Birthing naturally with a doula
4. Birthing naturally unassisted
5. Birthing naturally the first time or the next time

For me, I jump into reading some stories in 2. and 5. just to give me some insight.

- Be calm and relaxed
- Do not rush immediately to hospital, check for signs.
- Birth plan (I think for me I told gynae I want natural but still "play by ear")
- Supportive husband
- Focus on your mind, instead of the pain
- Is birth like sex? (haha, it can be!)

For now, what I have to do is to believe and count on my inner strength to go through this journey smoothly.


Update - 9.15am: 
And hanaabi's comments on visualisation reassured me and of course, and as I was typing, I experienced another "show" and mucous plug (sticky red lump) is out. And this confirms that my belief in speaking to the baby and constant visualisation works in communicating with the baby. So labour is on the way-no induction *fingers-crossed*; I gotta monitor for more contractions before heading to the hospital. Yes, I will Jia You (加油) !!

No comments:

Post a Comment