Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday 27 September 2011

Mathematics for Kids

I can say my elder niece (8 years old) is pretty smart. Yeah, pretty + smart. She picks up (be it knowledge, concepts, words etc.) fast and doesn't need any repetition (unless when distracted with TV and younger niece disturbances.)

I was resting after dinner when she came up and chat with me regarding baby's development. She surprised me with her knowledge of the uterus, umbilical cord and baby's desired position in the 3rd trimester. So I explained to her in detail - the use of the placenta and drew some pictures. Then, she asked me how heavy is the baby. So I told her about 1.7 kg and said that baby needs to grow up more for the next 2 months. 

So, I gave her a simple mathematics problem sum:

Before pregnancy, my weight = 47.50 kg 
After pregnancy, my current weight =55.90 kg
Baby's current weight = 1.70 kg
How much weight have I gained - excluding baby's? 
Calculation : 55.90 - 47.50 - 1.70 = 6.70 kg

Then she quickly mentioned that this weight will be shed off after I gave birth and we can also use the same way to calculate how much I lost by recording how much I weigh after birth. 

She goes on to rattle that the baby's weight and dimensions will be recorded immediately on the record card. 
(oh yes, she knows !!) 

I will also tell baby next time how she actually come out from mummy's tummy. 
Perhaps I can ask baby the same Maths question when she grows up and see what's her reaction. 
Good idea ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment