Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday 31 March 2012

Breastfeeding Schedule

Out of curiosity, I did a simple breastfeeding schedule in excel in January but I did not have the time (and energy!) to key in all the data for further analysis. Sleep and "me time" is a luxury to me, let alone doing all the initial mundane keying. Of course, I did the recording in a notebook for reference.

Example of schedule

If just by scanning through the data, 1 obvious conclusion:
her timing is almost very accurate. Drink 3 hourly except in the evenings and past midnight.

By human intuitiveness, it is quite safe to just estimate when and how much to feed her, it's only when she is cranky, and suddenly her schedule becomes inconsistent then I find it quite useful to refer to historical information (of course, this is for bottle feeding. Latch on will not be able to know exactly how much, but only when. Demand feeding via latch on is encouraged but sometimes in life, not everyone can, like me.=\ )

It is quite interesting to see that her demand patterns is quite consistent throughout, any major deviation is very often related to a major reason such as over-stimulation, growth spurt, colic, teething etc and will tend to drink more when she crosses each milestone. 

My general experience: If her per session feed volume is irregular say, 60ml, 30ml, 110ml and then 90ml as long as her total feed volume for the day (eg 700ml) is reached, she doesn't need an additional feed cos most likely her stomach is full and force feed will only result in reflux. 

I also incorporate her day of poo and frequencies in the same schedule but not in soft copy. I guess it is good enough to have them on paper just for own reference unless you are really interested or for research purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment