Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday 5 December 2012

Why I do not want a C-sect again

As the saying goes, "once a c-sect, always a c-sect". I don't think I want to subscribe to this. Then again, I am also weighing the other risk factors.
  1. Recovery period is longer as compared to natural delivery
  2. Bad experience with c-sect and I didn't want to get cut up again
  3. 3rd Child? (ok, this is just in case. I know I wanna "close factory" after my 2nd cos er, I don't wanna give birth after 35 ;(  But, who knows for sure until later? Urgh. Maybe I am just giving myself a third reason to justify a VBAC. Anyhow, it is also a legitimate reason. If I can do a VBAC for number 2, why wait till number 3 due to even higher risks?)
Factors against me having a VBAC:
  1. Previous history of infection
  2. Duration of only 1.5 years between the first and second child
  3. Condition of CPD unknown*
  4. Risk of Uterus Rupture (so induction is definitely a no-no for VBAC, contractions has to come naturally)
  5. Baby's health is at stake
* Whether my pelvis is too narrow as mentioned by my previous gynae is questionable:
  • It is also likely that the baby is in a Occiput Posterior - or also known commonly as OP position, given that the baby's head is said to be at pelvic station approx -2, ie not fully engaged few days before induction and delivery at the estimated due date (week 40)
  • Baby is at 2.75 kg at birth, so the size is not huge.
Thus, after a thorough discussion with Dr Paul Tseng, I have decided to confirm him as my gynae for my number 2.

Decision to be made later after the following is confirmed around week 36-37:
  1. Position of the baby 
  2. Size/Weight of baby
  3. Width of Uterine Scar Tissue 
  4. Position of Placenta
Damn, I feel as if I can be a gynae cos I know all of the above facts (haha, but too bad, I am just not cut out to be a doc given my mediocre grades) except that I need his professional advice, judgement and experience to figure out whether I am good candidate for VBAC. The most important thing is his willingness to support, and his experience in VBAC. He is also very frank by saying that he has seen "successful cases but also casualties too." 

I know one might ask,"why don't just go elective c-sect? Why take all these trouble?" since you: 
  1. can choose the date (whatever auspicious date/time you want, but of course subject to availability of your gynae) 
  2. can also have your third child (if you still want) by c-sect too
  3. don't have to go through labour pain, just cut, take baby out. Very fast, no sweat!
  4. don't have to suffer another round of infection (choy!) by going for emergency c-sect if after TOL (Trial of Labour) and you still can't make it.
  5. already gone through c-sect before, why have another "hole" down under (since there is a risk for urinary incontinence via natural delivery)? might as well continue with c-sect.

So, let's wait till week 36/37.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I have a friend under Paul who is also going for VBAC. She is at Week 36 now. All the best!

    May

    ReplyDelete